A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Life Advice > Relationship with someone in a wheelchair
have you had/would you have a relationship with someone in a wheelchair
Yes I have
No I haven't
I would have a relationship
I wouldn't have a relationship
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
Relationship with someone in a wheelchair posted: 11/25/03 at 4:02 PM

sexysmile  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Has anyone had one? If not would you?

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 11/25/03 at 6:35 PM

deborah  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I lived with a man in a wheelchair for a bit over a year. The only reason we split was because I don't tolerate any kind of abuse.

If you are considering dating a man in a wheelchair there are lots of things to take into consideration.........is he independant or does he depend on others to help him do his daily living? Would you be willing to invest that much time in a relationship with someone that is in a wheelchair? If sex is important to you and he can't perform, could you deal with that?

My sister lived with a man in a wheelchair for 8 years and they split because he could have sex and she got it elsewhere..........Basically, dating someone in a wheelchair has lots of downfalls, but if you two really work at it, there's no reason it wouldn't work. If you'd like to chat further about it, you can pm me.........

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 11/25/03 at 11:32 PM

Duane  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I haven't, but (ignoring the fact I'm happily married) I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it. It's not like I'd be embarrassed being seen in public or anything like that. In fact, there were a couple of girls I knew confined to wheelchairs that I did think about. Very attractive, those two. Questions I would have would be (1) as deborah pointed out, would my life be consumed taking care of her, and (2) what would our sex life be like?

----------
There is something wrong with a society that tells its children "Sex is dirty. Save it for someone you love." -- Sol Gordon, paraphrased by me

www.duane-n-lisa.net
www.duaneweb.com
Click here to email me

posted: 11/26/03 at 12:22 AM

*Angelic Me*  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I've often wondered what it would be like, but if I loved a man enough, I would. I went to a dance about 6 months ago, & a man asked me to dance who was in a wheelchair. I didn't mind at all--dancing w/him was fun.

It may be a little harder to make plans w/someone like that or to adjust to a different lifestyle, but if I loved someone, a disability like that wouldn't stop me.

----------
Right now I'm feeling: The current mood of AngelicMe at www.imood.com

"When in your eyes I see myself is when I'll want nobody else..." ~Me

posted: 11/26/03 at 2:12 AM

sunflower79  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
i had a college roomate and friend who was in a wheel chair...she pretty much good do things on her own..she needed help with some things but pretty much she could do on her own..

i woudln't mind and I am not too sure it would bother me. If i really loved the person and wanted to be with them I would hope I could over look there disability...I haven't actually dated anyone in a wheel chair.

posted: 11/26/03 at 6:12 AM

sexysmile  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Hi Deborah

I myself are actually in a wheelchair and have had a 'fling' with someone else in a wheelchair, a long term relationship with an able bodied man and have just come out of a 'friends with benefits' relationship with another able bodied man.

It's just that not much gets said on the subject and I thought it was a good thing to bring up

posted: 11/26/03 at 3:04 PM
SadEYED Thug  [more]
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
No I haven't

AND

maybe

posted: 11/26/03 at 11:00 PM

puppie  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Wow, this is a very powerful subject because to say the truth I dont want to offend anyone. Personally, I think its diffent if my bf were suddenly discapacitated in any way and if I were starting new. If my bf were I would no doubt carry on and ajust my lifestyle to his handicap without further questions, I would be heartbroken not only for him but just dealing with a new life, no driving for him possibly no sex etc. I would hope that the relationship wouldnt fizzle because of this.

If it were someone new, Im afraid I couldnt deal with it, I wouldnt allow myself to get involved too much because I (selfishly) dont want that responsibility. I want a lot of kids and a big house, a career-the whole nine yards. My passion is travel and how would I take long walks on the beaches of Thailand? For all these reasons I couldnt do it.

Please, I dont want to offend anyone, this is likea question about whether or not I would date a man of a different race or religion, it is not meant to be discriminating in any way.

posted: 11/27/03 at 3:42 AM

woman in lov  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Being together with someone who is disabled in any way is hard,no doubts.
Probably the key is-whether your partner BECAME disabled or you met him when he ALREADY WAS.In first case it would be easier for me to stay with him(i hope it never happens with us though)in second case it would be a difficult decision.
I read in newspaper a story when there was a girl who had terrible disease that causes absolute paralysis of all her muscles, even breathing muscles, she breathes through some kinda pipe that inserts into the hole in her throat,she cant walk, hardly can type anything.So somehow she was visiting chats while being in wheelchair and somewhat managed to type.She met that man and they fell in love gradually,but she didnt tell about her condition.
When they met it was a shock for that man to see her like this.
It took him some time to recover and to think and to decide.
They stayed together...Hopefully untill this very moment.

----------
i love my husband Jeremy
10th November-sent papers for I-130 to Texas
28th November- received first NOA
10th December 2003-I-129k sent to Chicago
9th January 2004-NOA from Chicago
3th March 2004-approved!

posted: 11/27/03 at 4:12 AM

Rinoa  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I have never dated a man in a wheel chair. My bf's doctor said that he expects him to be in a wheel chair by his 40th bday. I love him and I would not mind if had to be in a wheel chair. I would not mind. I love him for him. I love pampering him and taking care of him. I just hope he wouldn't want to push me away because he doesn't want to be a burden for me.

More On Page: (1) 2 3 »

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Life Advice > Relationship with someone in a wheelchair

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles