A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Pillow Talk > Sexual Health > Women's Issues > Dangers of Brazilian waxing.
Dangers of Brazilian waxing. posted: 07/06/07 at 5:30 PM
akazie  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...3351433459.html

quote:

A sexy Brazilian-style bikini wax almost cost a 20-year-old Melbourne woman her life.

The woman suffered a near-fatal infection after she was left bleeding by the hot-wax hair removal procedure, performed by a trainee waxer.

Less than a fortnight later, possibly because of a lowered immune system arising from diabetes, she came down with extreme pain and a fever. She had also broken out in a rash stretching from her groin to her chest, arms and neck.

She was not correctly diagnosed until doctors from Melbourne's Austin Hospital examined her under a general anaesthetic. The infection was treated with antibiotics.

She then presented again with a similar condition a few months later, this time after shaving rather than waxing.

"This didn't occur just once, it occurred twice," Austin Health director of infectious diseases Professor Lindsay Grayson said.

He said he knew of other cases - though not as serious - where people had done "strange" things to achieve their idea of beauty.

Professor Grayson said waxing was a "gross" way of removing hair which inevitably caused "micro-trauma" to human skin.

He said that while a healthy immune system could cope with micro-trauma, such procedures can - depending on which region of the body is waxed - involve risks to individuals with a lowered immunity.

Professor Grayson warned sufferers of poorly-managed diabetes and others with compromised immune systems to think twice before undertaking waxing treatments.

Professor Grayson said it was one of the most extreme of 90 cases of hot-wax burns resulting from Brazilian hair-removal procedures seen by Victorian hospital emergency departments last year.

He added that the woman would have died without appropriate medical care.

----------
Photobucket

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 07/06/07 at 9:23 PM

pinkie85  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
That's scary but I bet that is not the only case. It is kind of risky because you never know who is waxing you and then it is also kind of painful. So, um, I think I would pass that one for good.

----------
Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 07/07/07 at 11:02 AM

banarabbyt1  [more]
 Group: Comm Director Assistant 
Make Buddy | PM User
When a salon does waxing, they usually have insurance to do brazilians, at least the people I know who work in that field say their shops have insurance cuz of the dangers of brazilians, they can actually accidentally tear off your skin.

I went some place and got my arms waxed and it was horrible. I'd done it myself before with no problems, or with my aunt, but this people made my skin bleed, they made my arms get pimples, etc. It was horrible and took months to heal so I never went back. Don't ever go cheap on waxing.

----------
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

posted: 07/07/07 at 1:21 PM
akazie  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Any waxing of the skin will cause trauma, you might not see it but it is there. I was going to do a Brazilian wax myself but I have decided to go to my BT but I wonder if she will think that I am strange if I take some olive oil with me to apply to the area to form a barrier to avoid any pathogens getting into my body?

Maybe I shouldn't care what she thinks lol.

----------
Photobucket

posted: 07/07/07 at 1:50 PM

banarabbyt1  [more]
 Group: Comm Director Assistant 
Make Buddy | PM User
lol- it's your vagina- personally, I'd never do it cuz I am too shy. lol.

----------
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

posted: 07/07/07 at 6:30 PM

ComeBackSoon  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I've never had any probs after a brazillian but I can imagine some people with immune system probs may. I would always make sure its a salon who doesn't recycle wax!

posted: 07/07/07 at 10:50 PM

pinkie85  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
" they can actually accidentally tear off your skin."

Jeez, no wonder they have insurances. That's well, nasty

----------
Even if you are on the right track, you'll still get run over if you just sit there. -Will Rogers

posted: 07/07/07 at 11:16 PM

dizzy_edge  [more]
Make Buddy |
blech. im a chicken and dont think i could wax that zone. its bad enough on my legs haha. and even then i only do that a couple times a year.

ive never really thought about people having to go to hospital for wax burns! and that one hospital alone had 90 in the last year... imagine adding up all the hospitals and see how many patients have problems each year.... i think ill stick to the old fashioned treatments lol! ugh!

posted: 07/08/07 at 11:36 AM
misty625  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Why did it take the girl 2 weeks to go to the hospital? That's what I want to know. If it were me, I'd go to the doctor after a couple of days if things were that severely hurt.

posted: 07/08/07 at 5:51 PM

pinkie85  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
"its bad enough on my legs haha. and even then i only do that a couple times a year."

LoL I tried epillation once or twice on my feet, and I guess I am just not the person for such kind of manipulations. Damn it hurts.

----------

More On Page: (1) 2 »

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Pillow Talk > Sexual Health > Women's Issues > Dangers of Brazilian waxing.

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles