A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Relationship Support > Multicultural Romance > Any white women dating hispanic men? Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
Any white women dating hispanic men? posted: 02/02/07 at 9:42 AM

Danielle915  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Im white and Im dating a hispanic man.

I was wondering if any of you who are dating hispanic men feel sometimes a little awkward at times.....meaning when you go to his families homes....they are all speaking their language and your standing there not know what is being said.

Have any of you felt this way? How have you dealt with this awkwardness (is that a word?) I have been dating my bf for 3 yrs and I still feel like I just dont belong in his family.

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 02/03/07 at 10:40 PM

Danielle915  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
advice anyone?

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
Smile posted: 02/03/07 at 11:45 PM

bconway  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
None...But i once dated a Hispanic (Latino) woman.I am not sure if that can help you,but i can give you some insights from a guy's viewpoint if you want.

----------
new york mandingo

posted: 02/04/07 at 11:01 AM

silverspring  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I'm white and I date a hispanic man but I haven't met his family yet so I can't give you any insight on that part. Though I have met a few of his friends who also speak spanish as well as english. My boyfriend speaks english outside of his family and mostly spanish with his family. So more than half of the phone calls he gets he's speaking spanish. I can sort of see it as he has his own little world that no matter what I will probably never fit into as I'm not hispanic and never will be.

Just because you don't belong with his family doesn't mean you don't belong with him. Think of it that way. You may never feel completely comfortable around his family, but that's something a lot of people deal with, language issues aside. I would just smile and be polite when they're speaking spanish and try not make a big deal out of it. Chances are they aren't doing it to exclude you personally, it's just they're so used to it.

posted: 02/04/07 at 3:48 PM

Marie3391  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Hey Danielle915, well, my boyfriend is hispanic but I'm hispanic as well. The thing is, my boyfriend is Mexican and I'm Puerto Rican and sometimes the way they speak seems like a different dialect. Now, being hispanic and always having people like you around me that don't understand, I know how you must feel and also because at one point in my life I didn't know english. His family probably doesn't want to make you feel like you don't belong but sometimes it's hard to express the way you feel in english and well... since they're all together they feel more comfortable speaking their language. When you're with his family, try to smile like silverspring said but also try to get into it. I think they would love that. When someone says something say, "hey, can you teach me how to say that?" or try learning a simple line like, "Hola, como esta seņora?" That means, "Hi, how are you lady?" It sounds sort of weird in english because it's 'lady' but it's polite in spanish. Just try to get involved and don't exclude yourself. Besides, that way you can learn something new.

----------

posted: 02/04/07 at 11:46 PM

Marie_77  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
If you're dating him long term, it would be a nice idea to take spanish lessons.

----------

wedding countdown

posted: 02/06/07 at 8:27 AM

iwuvsergio  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I'm american, and my boyfriend is latino..We live in Guatemala. I felt awkward when I first met his family because they speak spanish sooo fast (faster than most Guatemalans!) and I couldn't understand a word they said. It took me a long time to get used to how they spoke....I am fluent in Spanish.

I know that for my boyfriend it's awkward for him to be in my house because we all speak english, watch TV in english, everything. But he's gotten used to it since he's over here almos daily.

My only suggestion is to learn Spanish. It's a BEAUTIFUL language, and it'll open up a lotta doors for you if you learn.

Where is your boyfriend from?

----------

enamorada.

posted: 02/11/07 at 10:27 AM

Marie_77  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
quote:
Originally posted by iwuvsergio
I'm american, and my boyfriend is latino..We live in Guatemala. I felt awkward when I first met his family because they speak spanish sooo fast (faster than most Guatemalans!) and I couldn't understand a word they said.

That's funny that you said that, cuz my fiance says the same! So it must be a guatemalan thing! LOL He's learning spanish but he says I speak too fast! I think just like you guys we're even cuz he speaks fast too, I'm fluent in english but when we just met I had a hard time understading what he was saying!

----------

wedding countdown

posted: 02/13/07 at 1:05 AM

iwuvsergio  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
quote:
Originally posted by Marie_77

That's funny that you said that, cuz my fiance says the same! So it must be a guatemalan thing! LOL He's learning spanish but he says I speak too fast! I think just like you guys we're even cuz he speaks fast too, I'm fluent in english but when we just met I had a hard time understading what he was saying!

Actually, I became fluent in Spanish a year or two before I met my boyfriend...I learned Spanih just by "shuteando" with the children I worked with. They all spoke "fast" but I got used to it and spoke just as "fast" as them. But when I met my boyfriend's family..Wow it was insane!! hehe It took me a long time to catch up to their speed hahaha

----------

enamorada.

I am white and married to a hispanic... Smile posted: 02/15/07 at 3:23 AM

MrsFlowers  [more]
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
I can actually relate. I just got married to a Salvadorean. I met his family at his brother's birthday party...I was the only white girl there! No need to worry a lot about, just try your best--smile, wave, or ask your bf how to say something in spanish to complement a member of his family. Even though it will probably be said not the right way (because being white and not knowing spanish and not having an accent) his family will be flattered that you even attempted. But in the mean time, ask your bf to help you speak spanish or you can find some learn to speak spanish programs online (that is what i am doing). I hope I have helped, good luck!

More On Page: (1) 2 3 4 » ... Last »

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Relationship Support > Multicultural Romance > Any white women dating hispanic men?

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles