A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Relationship Support > Dating > What does being in a relationship mean?
What does being in a relationship mean? Question posted: 07/08/04 at 10:58 AM
ojanotul  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
I was recently asked this question and I truly could not answer it.

This guy that I have been wanting for so long has finally come forth. I think !!!

Well, anyway he asked me what does a relationship mean to me. Oh my goodness, I could not anwer it. So basically I couldn't answer what I wanted from him.

I said "I just want to be with you as a couple." (how stupid did that sound)

So he was like "okay well what does being with me mean?" I could not answer that.

So I would like to know or hear the opinions of others.

What does being in a relationship mean?

----------
Life, you don't got to love it.
But you got to live it and leave it.

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 07/08/04 at 1:19 PM

MichaelJohn  [more]
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
You have relations...you relate. You share your life, either in part or in whole with someone you believe worthy of the time it takes you to do so.

----------
Almost counts only in Horseshoes, hand grenades and...baldness.

http://www.sofineedsaheart.com

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 07/08/04 at 8:05 PM

Gingerbread  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
"Being together as a couple" doesn't actually mean anything, really. Society has only a few narrow definitions of "couple": Boyfriend/Girlfriend, Husband/Wife, and some more modern types that include same-sex combinations and the ever popular "Friends with Benefits". However, a real relationship is as infinitely complex as each individual - more so, in fact - and can never really be defined by such catch-all terms. The common definition of "a relationship" is just a stereotype.

What you need to do is really think about what you want from this guy. Do you want to kiss him? Do you want to go to dinner with him, hang out and play videogames, tackle him to the bed and not get out for 24 hours.. or just hold hands. How does he make you feel? How do you want to make him feel? What is it you like about him?

Figure these things out, and then - and this is the hard part - tell him. Honesty like that will probably knock an unprepared guy off his feet, but he's actually asked you for the answers. Find out what you want your relationship to mean.

If in the end your brain tells you "Uhm.. no clue, dude." thats okay. Drawing a blank is fine, as long as you feel something. Feelings are hard to put to words, so tell him exactly that. "I don't know how to say it, but I feel it." Then tell him that you want to express them, and that he's going to have to just do as you say. ^_^ "Lets just spend time together and see where it goes?" can be a very exciting answer.

Don't get your hopes up too high, in case he doesn't come around, but do your best. I'll have my fingers crossed for you both!

~Ginger

posted: 07/11/04 at 12:43 PM

Chibi Chibi  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
If you mean a loving relationship I would say...

Should be each others best friend, you should be able to share your feelings and thoughts with him.

Both of you should be there for each other......e.g. if he is stress you will try to release some of his stress..or share a good laugh with each other.

----------
Reality continues to ruin my life.......

posted: 07/11/04 at 2:35 PM
ojanotul  [more]
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Wow, first I would like to thank everyone for their response. They all gave great meanings.

Ginger, I would like to say that you are deep and now you really have me thinking. I am going to put it down on paper answer each question one by one. Thanks for the support.

Thanks everyone! I will be back.

----------
Life, you don't got to love it.
But you got to live it and leave it.

posted: 07/14/04 at 12:08 PM

JLo  [more]
Make Buddy |
My personal definition of a relationship is having a committment and exclusivity. Currently, I'm just dating. I don't want a relationship, and when I tell people that, I explain to them exactly what I just said... I don't want to be tied down to one person.

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Relationship Support > Dating > What does being in a relationship mean?

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles