A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Military Relationships > Military Spouses > First time Deployment ideas
First time Deployment ideas posted: 05/19/09 at 10:44 AM

Bales_2006  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Im trying to fig out what would be a good way to welcome home my hubby....when he comes back from deployment....should i invite alot of family or let it just be me, its our first deployment....and im just not sure what would be easier on him and me...
we are both just getting out of stage 3 going into 4 of the emotional cycle of deployment...so its still gonna be a while till he gets home..i think both of us are doing better than we thought we would...Any ideas???
also what are some creative ideas...for welcoming him home??

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 05/19/09 at 10:48 AM
sally25  [more]
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
He will get block leave at some point after he returns for deployment which can be several weeks long so let him plan on doing what he wants wether it be have family come or go visit family ..... deployment changes people even if not completly or in a bad way it changes them , and you won't know how he reacts till he has been at home. For example my husband hates crowds he can't stand to be in a crowded store or a mall or go to fairs anymore .... I don't blame him ethier ..... I would plan on setting up the house with a banner balloons stuff he likes wear something nice and just leave the rest open ended , be "flexable" is the key word expect whatever ....

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 05/19/09 at 10:49 AM

JAD23  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
My husband was EXHAUSTED when he got home and spent most of that first day sleeping. I would ask him about having people there. My husband wanted it to be just us, but his parents really wanted to come so he agreed to "let" them come and he said he was glad he did. My husband is an only child though so that was really the only family that wanted to come. I am uncreative and didn't do any signs when he came home, but I saw a lot of wives/girlfriends with welcome home signs. Other than that, I would make it low key because he will be tired and probably won't want to be around a ton of people. Also, some of it depends on when he comes home. My husband came home at 4:30 in the morning and it was pouring down rain! That will figure into it too.

Ask him what he wants too...he needs to be involved in the decision.

----------
RIP Deployment #1--- 3/08-3/09

Smile posted: 05/19/09 at 10:59 AM

Bales_2006  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
So far Hubby has been kinda on the border of wanting family...but also having it be just us....i think we will know more of what we want as the next few monthes go by.....
i think he gets a week when he gets back to just chill... idk i wanna have family so he gets a big welcome home..but thats quite a few extra people to have around...
but like yall said he will probly be tired...i know when the left they had at least 3 flights...for sur b4 there final destination...so im sure it will be bout the same on the way home.
Thank's for the banner and balloon idea

posted: 05/20/09 at 1:01 AM

weildgirl  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I would just leave the family / friends gathering out of it for the first few days. If you and your dh are the extroverted, party-in-a-crowd types, I would recommend setting up a date for later in the week outside of your home (a park, perhaps?) to go and grill out and have a welcome-home party for him then. That way, he gets the welcome party AFTER he has rested up and is refreshed.

Also, one idea I'm doing is that I am making a note of all movies he ever tells me he wants to see, and keeping track (to the best of my ability) of the ones he hasn't seen out of those as well as what his favorites are. So for his first deployment, once he's back, I will have a couple of movies that we can watch together. He has a habit of drifting in and out of sleep when he's just trying to rest and relax. So, I'll just stay with him and watch a movie or something.

----------
Find me at these websites:
| Facebook | Twitter | Formspring.me | Blogspot | MySpace | Cafepress |

posted: 05/20/09 at 1:42 AM
DaChiefsWife  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Hi...I have done deployements myself and with the first uhhh "person" I married but not yet with my DH.

But my advice is this...do not invite lots of family till after he has some time to relax and get back in the swing of things at home and with you. Take time for the two of you to get to know eachother again, enjoy eachother and for him to feel "at home" again. Once he's wound down then invite friends and family over.

Also...from personal experience I never try to do to much the first night back. It can be overwhelming. Let him choose what he wants to do....maybe all he wants is a quiet dinner at home with you and to rest and be close to you.

My fam is great but my first time back from overseas they inundated me with people and things to do when all I wanted was to enjoy being home, calm and with my loved ones.

Best of Luck yo you!!

----------
My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music.
Vladimir Nabokov

posted: 05/20/09 at 2:09 AM

Bales_2006  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Thank's for all the tips!!!!

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Military Relationships > Military Spouses > First time Deployment ideas

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles