A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Ask A Female > Would You Fall in Love with a Poor Guy
Could You Fall in Love with a Poor Man
Yes, money isn't important
Yes, but it wouldn't be quite the same
Hell no! Money doesn't grow on trees!
View Results [Edit Poll (moderators only)]
posted: 02/08/09 at 8:06 AM
dougiezerts  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Let me reverse the question: Would a rich guy fall in love with a poor girl? I think nearly 100% of us would say "Yes."
The fact that three of you (so far) answered "No way!" says quite a lot!

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 02/08/09 at 9:34 AM

pickles  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
quote:
Originally posted by dougiezerts
Let me reverse the question: Would a rich guy fall in love with a poor girl? I think nearly 100% of us would say "Yes."
The fact that three of you (so far) answered "No way!" says quite a lot!

I don't think it says much of anything especially since everyone here has their own definition of rich and poor. Be more specific. Your original question was whether a woman would want the guy that can buy her furs and diamonds or the one who cannot afford it. Most women responded that it didn't matter. One of the respondents that claimed it DID matter defined a poor man as one that is homeless, panhandling, and starving. She'd rather have a guy with a job.

A rich guy falling for a poor girl is quite different than your original question. A rich guy may want to "save" and take care of the poor girl. But for a woman, many modern women do not need not want to be taken care of (read sailor's most recent response). They are quite capable of being financially independent.

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 02/08/09 at 11:36 PM
bambam85  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I would definitely think that it didnt matter as long as he was able to support himself. I wouldnt want to be with a guy that didnt work just because he didnt want to. I was with a guy for a long time that had some kind of mental qualms regarding working or keeping a job and I must say that these are too tough economic times to put up with a freeloader. I dont like it when people just want something for nothing but if you work to get what you need and occasionally need help then there really isnt shame in that. My hubby and I are poor but he puts food on the table and a roof over our heads so why should I not love him? I havent gotten a manicure and pedicure since we got married but those are the things that i chose to cut out to give us extra money to maybe eat out once or twice a month.

posted: 02/09/09 at 6:14 PM

blondgrrl  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I don't WANT anyone to take care of me. I would feel completely useless! What would be the point of having everything just given to you? You don't learn anything from that. On the other side, I also don't want anyone I would have to take care of. I think an adult has the responsibility to stand on their own two feet. I would no more allow my partner to be lazy and sit around home all day than I would do that myself.

And I don't WANT a diamond ring or a fur coat. Seriously people, with all the suffering in the world, how can anyone justify spending money that? As for fur- fur is DEAD! Killing an animal for it's fur is disgusting. I can't respect anyone who wears fur.

Material objects mean nothing to me.

----------
Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence.
-Christopher Hitchens

posted: 02/09/09 at 8:25 PM

XtrmeFdelity  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I would.

my fiance is not a rich guy but he's ambitious enough to really work hard and pay his own bills.

Having a lot of money is good and is tempting to be with,... but money can't buy you happiness.

So i'm keeping my financially mediocre guy that i love so much than be stuck with a filthy rich guy who doesn't love me and i can't love back.

----------
Fedelity is a gift not a requirement

posted: 02/09/09 at 9:55 PM

hotmomma2  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I wouldnt fall in love with a rich guy, or a poor guy. I would fall in love with someone who I could connect with, who shares the same goals and dreams that I share, and who has the same values that I have.. I am a very independent woman, who works and struggles. I grew up in a home where my parents struggled, I was attracted to my husband who grewup struggling too, we share the same upringing. and I could never have that with a rich guy, or a poor guy..I have alot of pride, and I have never lived in poverty or off of the goverment(welfare)system.. and thats why I wouldnt marry poor, and I wouldnt marry rich becuz If your born with a golden spoon in your mouth, How can you relate when the rich guy never had the struggles and sacrifices that the average person goes thru.. I would marry for love over money anyday..

posted: 02/10/09 at 9:41 PM

zoed  [more]
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
I'm not unromantic, but I'm not stupid either. I don't buy the Disney "my one and only true love" stuff and once you get past that and realize that you could actually find love and be perfectly happy with a number of different guys, why would you ever pick a poor guy? I know that if he goes broke while we're with him, well, I guess that's a real case of "you've made your bed, so lie in it" but when you are starting off with a guy, you never know, so why not always try to start off with the more wealthy guys. It makes sense to me. I love my man "on conditionally" ;-) That is, on condition that we have a healthy and regular sex life, we have no money worries, and my health is not threatened. If any of you would stay in a relationship with a man that doesn't treat you right, because you "love him", then stop buying the Disney movies and check out the "self-help" section on Netflix. Happy Valentine's all!

posted: 02/11/09 at 2:41 AM

babyboo3980  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Its not about money, its about LOVE...period, end of story. I'm kind of getting fed up with this thread, beacuse really all its doing is going in circles...Zoed, I dont understand why its so hard for you to realize that Money isnt everything, its the person inside that counts!

----------
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

posted: 02/11/09 at 4:29 AM

fair_is_fair  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
It makes sense naturally for a woman to find the best partner for her offspring so they could have a better life. This is a natural sense of order, the cavemen with the best hunting skills wins.

Love is a fairly indescribable concept because many people define it in different ways. It doesn't mean their way is wrong if it works out for them. It just means its different. Some women go for the gold, some dont. And the men who flaunt their money know they are attracting gold diggers, so whats the issue?

Let people do what they want to do and let people live. If a rich man marries a gold digger, that is his own issue. But I dont think any woman wants a man that is a professional loser and does nothing unless they have the ability to have some control over him. Nobody likes a loser with an attitude. :P I think most men would feel the same way about a woman. If she is not going to work, she better clean the house and help out. Most people ask for some sort of equality in their relationships, rich or poor.

----------
When I am at work, its like I am Iron Man...I feel invincible when I don the armor of success....

posted: 02/11/09 at 4:30 AM

fair_is_fair  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
By the way Im not equating poor men with losers. Im equating those guys that have no jobs and no intentions of getting jobs or making a better life either.

----------
When I am at work, its like I am Iron Man...I feel invincible when I don the armor of success....

More On Page: « First ... « 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 »

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Ask A Female > Would You Fall in Love with a Poor Guy

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles