A collection of love, romance and relationships resources including advice, poetry, quotes, dedications, chat, horoscopes, romantic ideas, message boards, free love postcards and much more!!
What's New Today on LYC...
Monthly Romance Calendar
Forum Quick Links:   Forum Home   |   My Home Page   |   My Inbox   |   My Calendar   |   Find Members   |   FAQ   |   Terms  
Popular Forums:   LYC Chat   |   Love Advice   |   Sexually Speaking   |   Military Spouses   |   Online Romance   |   Ask A Male   |   LDR   |   Holidays  
Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Life Advice > What does it mean to truly love someone
What does it mean to truly love someone posted: 03/05/08 at 1:44 PM

MissEyo  [more]
IP: Logged
 Group: New Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
A number of people can say those three simple words "i love you" but honestly what does it mean to love someone? Numerous times, i've said those three words to many different men but i dont even know if i mean it. At times i feel as though i say it because that is what they want to hear, or i cant find love and decide to create an artificial love. I can tell myself that i really love a guy and i truly want to be with him but then at the same time i love someone else.

So what exactly does it mean to truly love someone?

click to: respond to this topic

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
posted: 03/09/08 at 12:51 AM

Susie84  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I've only said "I Love You" to one guy I've been involved with and to me it's not something you say just because you really like the guy and it's expected of you to say it. I say it because he's also my best friend and I care very deeply about him and I'd do just about anything for him if he needed me to. To truly love someone is to love unconditionally, no matter what they do. You can look past the mistakes and even when things end you never fully get over that person or stop caring about them. Even if things end between me and the boyfriend I can't even imagine not talking to him or seeing him anymore...because he means that much to me.
He could probably do the worst thing ever and I'd still love him...maybe that's stupid but parents have unconditional love for their children.

----------

Options: Reply To Topic | Start New Topic | Edit Message | Quote Message | Report Abuse
Smile posted: 03/09/08 at 12:54 AM

bconway  [more]
 Group: Member 
Make Buddy | PM User
Don't know....That question has been asked for the last five thousand years and no one has ever given a definitive answer.....Maybe there isn't any.

----------
new york mandingo

posted: 03/09/08 at 6:48 AM

Kaito  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
MissEyo, I have NO idea and I'm just as lost as you are.

I know a lot of other people are confused but its (sadly and selfishly) relieving to see someone else in the same situation.

Although, it shouldn't be relieving because it still doesn't answer the question.

Someone once told me that love was a commitment to someone, even when things were bad you'd stick with them. I don't entirely agree with them, but I think she was on to something.

I think love is something you develop. I think attraction is what you feel when you first meet someone, and interest, and desire... but it turns into love when you'd pretty much do anything for them. Like I love my little cousins, I would (and I have) drop anything to help them out. But I've also wronged them, and I know they love me because despite that they've taken me back in and supported me.

I love my boyfriend like a friend, of this I am sure. But! Of that elusive he's-the-one/soul-mate love... I still have no clue. I like to think that the only difference is that... I love a friend unconditionally, but I love a boyfriend unconditionally AND I want to be intimate with him. But, surely, there must be more to it than that!

Let me know if you find an answer.

posted: 03/09/08 at 9:35 AM

NurseAG  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
Wow...true love is something SO HARD to explain until you feel it. And this is so cliche, but when you truly love someone, you JUST KNOW. It's a feeling like no other!

I've only experience true love with my current boyfriend. It means loving that person unconditionally, even when they're at their worst. It means being 100% faithful to them physically, and mentally. It means that you always strive to make them feel wonderful. Wanting to be with that person all the time. Love is forever. Love is SELFLESS. The love I feel for the man I'm going to marry soon is something I just can't explain to anyone. You just have to experience it to really know what it is and how it feels.

posted: 03/11/08 at 5:46 AM

greenchakra  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I agree with Nurse. I feel truly loved and feel love for my man. It's hard to describe because emotions overlap, and 'what if' scenarios confuse the issue. Also, time changes things. Some people say love is a verb, so it's something you do, as well as feel. I do think of him throughout my day, want to make him happy, am proud of him, appreciate his wonderful qualities. I am overwhelmed by his generosity - material, emotional, companionship, caring for my daughter and me - he is generous of himself in all these ways. I do smile at the thought of him, laugh with him often. All these things are things I do - do they add up to love? I think so. The reult of being with him leaves me happy. I'm in-love. I don't doubt him, distrust him, or feel he would cheat me either physically or financially. He is honest. I am so proud that he is my man. I also feel lucky. My mother would say, "he's the lucky one." But I think it's just lucky in this world to have found such a man.

posted: 03/11/08 at 7:25 AM

eternalflame  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
You know I read this earlier and now have given it some thought. I guess responding to this thread is harder then responding to any other thread. Why?

Because you can't put into words or concepts when you truly love somebody. I will try my best.

My grandmother told me when I was twelve that how you know when you truly love somebody is when you would die for them.

A truly unselfish self sacrafice for them to continue living and you not. That is something that not many people can do or even comprehend.

I am finding that statement meaningful for other things. When you know the other person matters as much as you do. When the world seems a little bigger and brighter.

When you don't want to give up today no matter how hard it is, so that you can see them tomorrow.

When anything they do, no matter what flaw they possess, what mannerism that isn't right. You love, you love it all, and you embrace their darkest side.

When you tell yourself there are going to be trying times, you are going too argue, you are going to fight, you are going to cry, that you will never walk away, that it is all part of it and you are lucky to be living it.

People say unconditional and it is true, but know this, that when you truly love somebody you would never hurt them, meaning cheat on them or be verbally or physically abusive and they would never want to hurt you by being that way.

When you don't look at them as somebody for now to be with. When you look at them as somebody to always be with.

Now I bring up the controversial thing, why it is controversial?

I truly believe when you truly love somebody that when they die you never take another lover.

That is controversial and not alot of people believe that but that is how I know.

Everybody has their own ideas and views on love.

Don't let the cynics tell you there is no such thing as fairytales.

Don't let the optomists tell you the hurtful relationship you are in too tough it out and stick through it.

Let the cynics know and the optomists know that when you find true love, it will be a fairy tale that you will stick through because it's worth it.

Lisa

----------
You shall be my heaven on earth and my heaven when I die

posted: 03/11/08 at 8:06 AM
Yvonne #1  [more]
Make Buddy | PM User
I suppose we are talking about romantic love here, eros. What does it means to truly love someone? It means exactly that, but it does not mean you will put your life on the line for that person. It doesn't mean that you lose all of your senses, that you would tolerate anything and exist under any and all conditions. When you get to that point, you are not talking love at all. You are talking about some other neurosis. You are addressing some other psychological agenda.

Love is the most misused word in the English language. We love everything. We love football. We love our dog. We love snow, sunshine, pizza, the color purple. Name it, we love it, but sometimes love is to also say goodbye.

If you are a dope addict or pusher, I love you, but goodbye. If you are lazy, unproductive, abusive, and serve no purpose in my life other than to make me miserable, I still love you, but goodbye. When instead of bringing me joy, you bring me pain and cause me sleepless nights, goodbye. I will still love you, but you can't be a part of my life. I love you enough to want you to be happy with someone else, and if you love me, you would want the same for me.

To truly love someone is to wish that person all the joy and happiness in the world, whether that person is with you or with someone else.

----------
People don't see things as things are. They see them as they are.

Notice: Use this form ONLY if you are already a member! New users, register for free here!
Notice: This is our quick reply form, for all reply options such as smilies, HTML and more, click here!
Fast Reply:
Your User Name:    Want to register?
Your Password:    Forgotten your password?
Subject: (Optional)
Show Signature: include your profile signature.
 Notice: By submitting to this site, you agree to these terms of use.
Forum Options:
· Save this topic to my favorites (subscribed)!

· Email this topic to a friend!
Rate This Thread:

Back To: Lovingyou.com > Love Advice & Tips > Life Advice > What does it mean to truly love someone

LOVINGYOU.COM SITE MAP
LOVE:  Communication | Affairs | Dating | Getting Serious | Getting Married | Break Ups | Loving Yourself | Support Groups | Dear Love
ROMANCE:  Romance 101 | Ideas | Date Nights | Recipes for Two | Romantic Travel | Craft Ideas | Holidays & Celebrations
PASSION:  Lovemaking 101 | Passion Play | Loverotica | Ask Aphrodite | Pillow Talk
INSPIRATION:  Love Poetry | Love Letters | Love Quotes | Love Stories | Dedications | Printables | Lovescopes | eCards
   Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Writer's Guidelines | Suggestions

Lovingyou.com, Inc.SM All rights reserved.

Message board powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000, 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

SheKnows Lifestyles